Harold J. Winston, Chairman/CEO
USCT Chairman, Harold J. Winston
A magna cum laude graduate of Loyola University Law School in Chicago, Harold, has a tremendous amount of passion for Law, but, it is his passion for Chess that brought him to The U.S. Chess Trust.
“My specialty is post conviction cases and I have won new trials for persons convicted of murder in seven separate cases. I have argued to the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Court, as well as in the trial court.”.
Harold has served as Chairman U.S. Chess Trust 2000-Present; President, U.S. Chess Trust 1999-2000. He first became a trustee in 1998.
- USCF President 1987-1990
- Served a total of 9 years on the USCF Policy Board (predecssor of the Executive Board)
- Co-Chairman or Chairman, USCF Bylaws Committee 1991-present except for one year, also 1985-87
- Organized Midwest Womens Open 1980-1987
- Organized U.S. Amateur Team 1987
- Organized US Intercollegiate 1968
- Co-organizer Pan American Intercollegiate 1978
- President, Intercollegiate Chess League of America 1972
- Past president Chess Journalists of America
- Past president of the Chicago Intercollegiate Chess League, University of Chicago Chess Club, and City College of NY Chess Club.
He’s a Class A player, briefly an expert, and won the decisive game in the 1968 US Intercollegiate that gave University of Chicago the championship !