2014 SINQUEFIELD CUP
“Reigning World Champion Magnus Carlsen returns to Saint Louis to defend his crown at the second annual Sinquefield Cup, scheduled to be held August 27 through September 7.
Last year’s event was the strongest chess tournament ever held on U.S. soil. This year, the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis is bringing you the strongest tournament in the history of chess. Ever.
Six of the top nine players in the world will compete in a 10-round, double round robin for the $100,000 top prize and the right to hoist the coveted Sinquefield Cup.
The 2014 installment of the Sinquefield Cup once again will feature live play-by-play and analysis from three different teams of grandmaster commentators. Spectators will have the option to watch the players in the tournament hall or to enjoy commentary at Lester’s sports bar, adjacent to the club, and also to the World Chess Hall of Fame (WCHOF), located directly across the street. A free meet-and-greet autograph session with the players will also be held at 12 p.m. Tuesday, August 26.” – Saint Louis Chess Club
- World Rank No. 1 – Magnus Carlsen (Norway), Age 23, Rating 2877
- World Rank No. 2 – Levon Aronian (Armenia), Age 31, Rating 2805
- World Rank No. 3 – Fabiano Caruana (Italy), Age 22, Rating 2801
- World Rank No. 5 – Hikaru Nakamura (USA), Age 26, Rating 2787
- World Rank No. 8 – Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria), Age 39, Rating 2772
- World Rank No. 9 – Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (France), Age 23, Rating 2768
- Tuesday; Aug. 26; 12 PM; Autograph Session; Location TBD; 6 PM; Opening Ceremony; Location TBD
- Wednesday; Aug. 27; 2 PM; Round 1; Chess Club
- Thursday; Aug. 28; 2 PM; Round 2; Chess Club
- Friday; Aug. 29; 2 PM; Round 3; Chess Club
- Saturday; Aug. 30; 2 PM; Round 4; Chess Club
- Sunday; Aug. 31; 2 PM; Round 5; Chess Club
- Monday; Sept. 1; Rest Day
- Tuesday; Sept. 2; 2 PM; Round 6; Chess Club
- Wednesday; Sept. 3; 2 PM; Round 7; Chess Club
- Thursday; Sept. 4; 2 PM; Round 8; Chess Club
- Friday; Sept. 5; 2 PM; Round 9; Chess Club
- Saturday; Sept. 6; 2 PM; Round 10; Chess Club
- Sunday; Sept. 7; 12 PM; Playoff; Chess Club; 5 PM Press Conference; Chess Club; 7 PM Closing Ceremony; Location TBD
- Monday; Sept. 8; 2 PM; Ultimate Moves*; Chess Club
* Ultimate Moves will feature eight two-man teams made up of a GM and an amateur player each. The teams will compete in a double-round knockout bracket, with teammates alternating moves in games with a time control of 15 minutes and 2-second increments. More details at the Saint Louis Chess Club Website.
- 1st Place $100,000
- 2nd Place $75,000
- 3rd Place $50,000
- 4th Place $40,000
- 5th Place $30,000
- 6th Place $20,000
Total Prize Fund: $315,000 USD