Webster University Wins the Final Four of Chess. The U.S. Chess Trust is a Proud Sponsor.
The U.S. Chess Trust is a proud sponsor of this event!
When I represented the University of Massachusetts in the 1975 Pan-Am Intercollegiate Championships, the idea of attending college on a chess scholarship seemed like a pipe dream.
Now, rival schools must recruit fiercely to attract the best players to their programs.
The Trust is a proud sponsor of what has become the ultimate in collegiate chess competition: The Final Four.
Congratulations to the Webster University team!
U.S. Chess Trust
The ‘Final Four’ of Collegiate Chess, a two-day Round Robin tournament that determines the National Champion of College Chess team was held from April 6-7, 2013 in Rockville, Md.
The Webster University Chess Team (Saint Louis) won the Final Four of college chess in Rockville, Md. becoming the National Collegiate Chess Champions. UT Dallas finished 2nd and the UMBC team, who have won 6 Final Four titles, finished 3rd. This is the first time Webster University wins the Final Four.
- 1st Place: Webster University (9.5/12)
- 2nd Place: University of Texas at Dallas (7/12)
- 3rd Place: University of Maryland, Baltimore County (5/12)
- 4th Place: University of Illinois (2.5/12)
Each team consisted of 4 players, Webster and UT Dallas had 4 grandmasters on their teams, while UMBC only had two grandmasters. Webster University and UT Dallas were the clear runners for the title after UMBC scored only 2.5 points for the first two rounds on Saturday.
The Webster team consisted of GMs Ray Robson, Georg Meier, Wesley So, Fidel Jiminez Corrales, Manuel Leon Hoyos and Anatoly Bykhovsky.
The U.S. Chess Trust is proud to sponsor the ‘Final Four’ and many other events in the United States. We are very honored to be a part of this event and happy to support these young grandmasters.
REPLAY FEATURED GAMES
Final Four of College Chess, 2013
White: Paikidze, Nazi
Black: Robson, Ray
Final Four of College Chess, 2013
White: So, Wesley
Black: Sadorra, Julio C
Round 1 — Results
|1||WEBSTR||1||GM Meier, Georg (2694)||ILLINO||0||FM Rosen, Eric S (2381)|
|2||ILLINO||0||Auger, Michael W (2183)||WEBSTR||1||GM So, Wesley (2714)|
|3||WEBSTR||1||GM Robson, Ray (2697)||ILLINO||0||Luo, Xin (2190)|
|4||ILLINO||0||Meduri, Aakaash (2096)||WEBSTR||1||GM Corrales Jimenez, Fidel (2650)|
|5||UTDALL||1||GM Yotov, Valentin L (2650)||UMBC||0||GM Margvelashvili, Giorgi (2606)|
|6||UMBC||1||GM Huschenbeth, Niclas (2594)||UTDALL||0||GM Sadorra, Julio C (2641)|
|7||UTDALL||1||GM Chirila, Ioan Cristian (2590)||UMBC||0||IM Paikidze, Nazi (2449)|
|8||UMBC||0||NM Balasubramanian, Adithya (2325)||UTDALL||1||GM Holt, Conrad (2574)|
Round 2 — Results
|1||UMBC||½||GM Margvelashvili, Giorgi (2606)||WEBSTR||½||GM Meier, Georg (2694)|
|2||WEBSTR||½||GM So, Wesley (2714)||UMBC||½||GM Huschenbeth, Niclas (2594)|
|3||UMBC||0||IM Paikidze, Nazi (2449)||WEBSTR||1||GM Robson, Ray (2697)|
|4||WEBSTR||½||GM Hoyos, Manuel Leon (2652)||UMBC||½||WGM Foisor, Sabina-Francesca (2391)|
|5||ILLINO||½||FM Rosen, Eric S (2381)||UTDALL||½||GM Sadorra, Julio C (2641)|
|6||UTDALL||1||GM Holt, Conrad (2574)||ILLINO||0||Auger, Michael W (2183)|
|7||ILLINO||½||Luo, Xin (2190)||UTDALL||½||IM Pavlovic, Milos M (2537)|
|8||UTDALL||1||IM Bercys, Salvijus (2496)||ILLINO||0||Meduri, Aakaash (2096)|
Round 3 — Results
|1||UTDALL||½||GM Yotov, Valentin L (2650)||WEBSTR||½||GM Meier, Georg (2694)|
|2||WEBSTR||1||GM So, Wesley (2714)||UTDALL||0||GM Sadorra, Julio C (2641)|
|3||UTDALL||½||GM Chirila, Ioan Cristian (2590)||WEBSTR||½||GM Robson, Ray (2697)|
|4||WEBSTR||1||GM Bykhovsky, Anatoly (2618)||UTDALL||0||GM Holt, Conrad (2574)|
|5||UMBC||½||GM Margvelashvili, Giorgi (2606)||ILLINO||½||FM Rosen, Eric S (2381)|
|6||ILLINO||0||Auger, Michael W (2183)||UMBC||1||GM Huschenbeth, Niclas (2594)|
|7||UMBC||0||WGM Foisor, Sabina-Francesca (2391)||ILLINO||1||Luo, Xin (2190)|
|8||ILLINO||0||Meduri, Aakaash (2096)||UMBC||1||NM Balasubramanian, Adithya (2325)|
- Round 1: Saturday, April 6th, 10AM
- Webster University vs Univ. of Illinois, with Webster playing White on Board 1
- UT Dallas vs. UMBC, with UT Dallas playing White on Board 1
- Round 2: Saturday, April 6th, 5 PM
- UMBC vs. Webster University, with UMBC playing White on Board 1
- Univ. of Illinois vs. UT Dallas, with Univ of Illinois playing White on Board 1
- Round 3: Sunday, April 7th, 9 AM. Board 1 colors for Rd 3 were determined by Drawing of Pawns on Friday evening.
- Webster vs. UT Dallas, with UT Dallas playing White on Board 1
- UMBC vs. Univ. of Illinois, with UMBC playing White on Board 1
- Saturday, April 6th: Round 1 at 10AM, Round 2 at 5PM.
- Sunday, April 7th: Round 3 (Final Round) at 9 AM.
- Awards Ceremony: TBD
- The Time Control for each Round is 90-minutes, with a 30-second Time Increment … for each player.
The Teams (listed here in alphabetical sequence)
- University of Illinois (Team Page)
- University of Maryland at Baltimore County (Team Page)
- University of Texas at Dallas (Team Page)
- Webster University (Team Page)
- The U.S. Chess Trust
- Booz Allen Hamilton